Thursday, May 26

Perspective

My cousin posted on her blog about perspective, and it reminded me about some things from the other night, and also made me think.


All over the news have been about the tornadoes that have hit all over the country.  Many of these people, I just found out, don't have basements.  I can't imagine living in a city where you have it all and you're so happy, and then suddenly...everything you ever worked for is...gone.  Utterly destroyed. 


They interviewed a lady who lost her husband during the tornado.  Apparently he had covered her body to protect her.  She said people were trying to comfort her by saying, "He would want it this way." She replied with, "I would have taken twice as much damage if it meant he was still here with me."  Wow.  Can't even BEGIN to imagine what that must feel like.


I was talking to someone as we were watching the news, and we realized our problems are NOTHING.  We complain about having to go to work, not having enough money, etc.  What we sometimes forget and take for granted are we are blessed.  We have so much, and there are people out there who have so little.  Some don't have ANYTHING.  I know that I definetely do that, and it's something I need to work on.  I always feel so awful for being selfish, and then after the news stops reporting the problems of the world, I go right back to feeling selfish again.  It's a vicious cycle that needs to stop.

My favorite quote has always been, "If we were to put all the world's problems in a huge pile, and we looked at that pile, we would take our problems back in a heartbeat."  I truely believe that our problems are miniscule, but they seem so big at the time (to us).

I wish I could do more, but I am going to do the best I can to help with the tornadoes.  That might be just prayer right now, but I feel that prayer is the best thing I could do.  I strongly believe that the power of prayer, even by one person, can make all the difference.

If everything was ripped from my world, I hope that I could have the attitude that I've heard on the news and from other people.  Feeling blessed and grateful for the little things.  I know that's it's something I need to work on now, though, in order for that to happen.

~*Liz*~

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Prayer is amazing, it can change EVERYTHING.

Ann said...

It's truly humbling and life changing to see other people face their challenges so faithfully!

Ruth said...

You have such a good, sweet heart. You do make a difference!