Thursday, June 5

Need vs Can

I think I was going about it all wrong, and that's why it wasn't working.

I kept thinking I needed to be "smaller" and I needed to "lose weight."

Not saying those things are bad, but I was more about body image than I was about weight, and that's why I kept failing.

It's the priorities that matter.  I need want to be healthy and not worry about what I look like.  That will follow once I start eating more healthy :)

So, even though I have a goal weight, I'm not focusing on that.  I'm focusing more on what I eat, and I need want to eat more fruits, veggies, and drink more water.  I also want to exercise more; again, to be healthy, not to lose weight.

Notice how I crossed out the words "need"?  I learned that last year :)  In one of my classes my teacher said that we tend to "should" on ourselves (lol) and when we said things like "I need to do this" or "I should do this" or even "I must get this done..." it tends to make us not want to do those things.  I tried it with homework and I think it worked...even though I need want to work on my procrastinating... ;)

So, I suggest that you try it.  When you catch yourself saying "I need to get this done tonight" try saying "I can get this done" or "I will get this done."  I know that you can't always say "I want to..." because I definitely don't want to do homework...lol.  But see how empowering it is.  It's amazing to me that one word change can change your whole attitude on things.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Love it! And I love you!